A fantastic training resource for all of us is Selling Power’s site. They have daily short videos that you can watch to get tips.
I came across this video today about selling during a recession. The key take aways are:
- First, buyers don’t purchase based on price. This is never the number one reason why people buy even in a recession. Instead, you need to show and prove that buying from your company is extremely low on the risk scale.
- Second, you cannot come across as afraid that your job is at risk and that you are desperate to make a sale.
So, here’s the way I’d approach this.
- First, you need to instill confidence in your customers and prospects. You need to establish key pillars that you can use to show that your company will weather this storm. It could be that you’ve weathered two recessions. It could be that you have a diverse customer base etc.
- Second, ownership/Mgt must instill confidence in their employees. You must show them that you have their backs and that their jobs are not a risk. A wounded animal gets eaten.
- Third, you must be confident and believe that this recession is an opportunity for you and your clients. Work hard, show them value and that you are the guy/gal that will help them get through this tough time. Drive to survive, drive to thrive.
Watch the video, it’s well worth the 4:30 minutes.